Apple Cake Extra
Find out how to make this delicious and easy apple cake with extra apples.
Fibres, low fat and moderate sugar content, a health guru's choice. The apple content alone is almost half the pie giving it plenty of fibres. Enjoy!!
- 125 g Greek yoghurt
- 140 g icing sugar
- 3 eggs
- 60 ml olive oil
- 120 g all purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 apples Golden
- 50 g margarine
- 30 g caster sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- apricot jam (light if possible)
- Cut out a round piece of baking paper and cover the bottom of the cake mold with it. Grease the sides of the mold.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Beat egg whites with a hand mixer. Add a pinch of salt and the vanilla extract. Whip until soft peaks form. Now add the sugar powder in portions and keep mixing until you have a firm meringue.
- Add the Greek yogurt, olive oil and egg yolks in the meringue. Combine using a spatula.
- Once homogeneous, add the flour and baking powder with a sieve. Keep mixing with the spatula. For now, put the batter in the refrigerator for the next step.
- Take a bowl and fill it with water. Add the juice of half a lemon to avoid apple oxidation. Peel and core the apples. Cut each of them in 12 wedges by cutting each quarter in 3 wedge pieces. Submerge these in the water bowl.
- Melt the margarine in a large frying pan. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Drain the apple wedges well and put them in the pan. Bake for about 10 minutes at medium heat.
- Take the batter out of the frig. Preheat oven at 170°C (convection).
- Put the baked apple wedges on the bottom of the cake mold. Evenly spread the apples to cover the whole mold bottom.
- Pour in the batter. Turn shake the mold some so that the batter sets between the apple wedges.
- Bake for about 35 minutes. Use a baking tester to see if it's done. It should come out moist but not covered in batter. Add another 5 minutes if necessary.
- Leave to rest for 15 minutes. Cut around the apple cake to detach from mold. Cover cake mold with a flat plate and turn upside down.
- Make a paste with the apricot jam and some water. With a pastry brush, spread this paste on the apple cake while warm. Leave to cool.
Tools used: Hand mixer, silicone spatula, pastry brush, sieve.
Apple Cake Extra
More Pies and Cakes!