The Belgian waffle culture is well known throughout Western Europe. They're one of the things typical for this country besides chocolate, fries and the wide variety of beers.
Brussels waffles are almost always served with garnish. This is often whip cream combined with fruit and/or a sauce.
Recipe Brussels Waffles
- 500 g spelt flour
- 200 g butter
- 750 ml low fat milk
- 5 eggs
- 40 fresh yeast
- 10 g fine sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- Warm the milk up to lukewarm, slightly warmer than your fingers.
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the milk.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Add the yolks, the oil, the butter and milk to the flour. Batter everything with a hand mixer.
- Beat the egg whites until firm. Carefully mix it with the batter using a spatula. If necessary use a whisk slowly.
- Let the batter proof for an hour in a warm place.
- Heat up the waffle iron well. Grease it with oil using a kitchen brush or kitchen paper.. Repeat for every waffle.
- Serve warm or cold.
Tools used: Hand mixer, bowl, spatula, tablespoon, pastry brush, sieve.