Perhaps grandmas waffles isn't the right naming knowing there are many of them. Each with their own ingredients.
The Belgian waffles are my favorite, hands down. There's somewhat of a waffle culture in Belgium offering plenty of variety.
Among them Liège waffles, Brussels waffles, flash waffles and galettes. They're not only made with batter. Sugar waffles for example are made of a soft dough.
Recipe Grandmas Waffles
- 500 g Self-rising flour
- 300 ml sunflower oil
- 400 ml skimmed milk
- 20 g vanilla sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 250 ml sparkling water
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- A good pinch of salt
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Sift the flour in a bowl. Add oil, yolks, sparkling water, milk and both sugars.
- Batter everything with a mixer.
- Add salt to egg whites and beat until peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg white into the batter with a spatula.
- Let the batter proof for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat the waffle iron. Use a kitchen brush to coat the iron with some oil.
- Bake the waffles and serve immediately.
Tools used: Hand mixer, spatula, tablespoon, pastry brush, sieve.