Even better without too much confectionary fruits. The Innsbrucker pie (or cake) is by some Austrians favored over the famous sachertorte.
It has an unusual blend of almond, rum and candied fruits as a filling. I can understand where the attraction comes from, even when it is a potential weight gainer.
- 100 g pastry flour
- 100 g cornflour
- 1 full tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 160 g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 g butter
- 50 cl cream 35%
- Whip cream stiffener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30 g powdered sugar
- 30 cl cream 35-40%
- Whip cream stiffener (the amount for 30 cl cream)
- 110 g powdered sugar
- 120 g candied mixed fruits (small pieces)
- 1 tsp rum aroma
- 2 egg yolks
- 120 g almond powder
- 125 g butter
- Prepare a 24 cm spring form, cover bottom and sides with baking paper.
- Split eggs, beat the whites very firm with a pinch of salt, then gradually add half of the sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Melt butter at low heat. Let it cool!
- Add the other half of the sugar to the yolks and beat with hand mixer until foamy and pale yellow.
- Mix the melted but cold butter to the yolks with a spatula. Add this mixture to the beaten egg whites.
- Mix flour with cornflour and baking powder, sift over the yolks and eggwhites.
- Fold everything from under to over until you get a homogeneous batter.
- Pour batter in spring form and bake at 180°C for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack. The biscuit must be completely cold for the next step!
- If top of cake is too round from rising, cut it flat and turn upside down.
- Some bakers leave the cake a night in the refrigerator before filling.
- Pour cream in a metal bowl and put in the frig for 30 minutes. If you don't want to wait put bowl in ice water. Cream must be very cold.
- With a whisk beat yolks, sugar, butter and rum together until creamy. Add the almond powder and mix it in.
- Take the bowl with cream and whip using a hand mixer. When it starts to thicken add the stiffener. Stop beating when firm folds are shaping.
- Fold yolk cream with whip cream and candied fruit.
- Cut the cake in 3 layers, take half of the cream mix and cover bottom part with a spreading spatula.
- Put middle part of cake on top and spread the other half of the cream mix. Lay the top part of cake on it.
- Make sure the 50 cl whip cream is ice cold, pour with vanilla in bowl in ice water.
- Beat with hand mixer. When it starts to thicken add the stiffener and sugar.
- Stop beating when cream shows folds.
- Cover the whole pie with a metal spreading (offset-) spatula. Garnish with maraschino cherries.
- Store in refrigerator.
Tools used: Hand mixer, baking paper, whisk, silicone spatula, measuring spoons, sieve.
More Pies and Cakes!