Smooth Pastry Cream
Pastry cream is very versatile as it combines well with many flavours. But you may enjoy it as a dessert too!
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 30 g cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 90 g fine sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 40 cl whole milk
For approximately 500 g of pastry cream.
- Bring milk to a boil, remove from stove. Immediately add the vanilla and stir.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar until pale yellow. Sift cornstarch above yolk mix and blend well.
- Pour some of the warm milk in the yolk mix to make it more liquid.
- Add this mixture back into the pan with remaining milk. Stir well until homogeneous.
- On medium fire, whisk the cream until thick. Keep whisking. When you see a couple of bubbles popping you're done.
- When the temperature drops to around 50°C, combine with the butter in small pieces.
- Pour the pastry cream in a large tray for quicker cooling.
- Lay a sheet of cling film over the cream to avoid surface hardening.
- Refrigerate until needed. Use as dessert or as ingredient for other desserts.
Tools used: Whisk, digital thermometer, tray, cling film, silicone spatula, sieve.
More Cream Recipes!
Creamy wine sabayon has multiple uses, including as a dessert sauce.
Strictly used as a filling cream, the hazelnut cream combines well with other flavours except maybe sourness.
Smooth silky orange cream. Can also be used as a warm sauce for ice cream.
Its refined taste and texture surpasses the mousse variant.
With a similar versatility as pastry cream, lemon curd isn't as commonly used in patisserie.
Chocolate lovers are going to appreciate the aroma coming from this one.