Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 40 g cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 90 g fine sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 50 cl whole milk
For approximately 750 g of pastry cream.
- Bring milk to a boil, remove from stove. Immediately add the vanilla and stir.
- Whisk eggs with sugar until pale yellow. Sift cornstarch above egg mix and blend well.
- Pour some of the warm milk in the egg mix to make it more liquid.
- Add this mixture back into the pan with remaining milk. Stir well until homogeneous.
- On medium fire, whisk the cream until thick. Keep whisking. When you see a couple of bubbles popping you're done.
- When the temperature drops to around 50°C, combine with the butter in small pieces.
- Pour the pastry cream in a large tray for quicker cooling.
- Lay a sheet of cling film over the cream to avoid surface hardening.
- Refrigerate until needed. Use as dessert or as ingredient for other desserts.
Tools used: Whisk, digital thermometer, tray, cling film, silicone spatula, sieve.