There's something about the taste of raspberries that works in many ways. One of my favorite fruits in patisserie. This recipe is low-fat.
Ingredients for approx. 500 g:
- 340 g raspberries
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2-3 gelatin sheets
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 18 cl cream 40% (ice cold)
- 130 g Italian meringue
This is the same recipe as the one for the forest mousse: 3 egg whites, 170 g sugar, 5 cl water and a pinch of salt.
- Put the sugar and water in small sauce pan, warm up at medium heat.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt using a handmixer. Stop when soft peaks form.
- Measure the sugar temperature. When it's 125°C, remove from stove.
- Pour gradually in egg whites while mixing at high speed. Keep mixing until the sugar-egg white mix is less warm.
- Leave to cool.
- Mash the raspberries in a food processor. With a strainer and a tablespoon remove the pulp. You need around 200 g of purée without pulp.
- Put the gelatin in cold water for about 10 minutes.
- Warm up half the raspberry purée. Do not boil nor should it be hot. It should be warm enough for the gelatin.
- Squeeze the soft gelatin sheets to remove water and dissolve them in the warm purée. Make sure they're completely dissolved.
- Squeeze juice of half a lemon and pour into purée. Blend!
- Pour the cold cream in a bowl over a recipient with water and ice cubes. Add the powdered sugar. Beat until you get whip cream, when it forms folds you're done.
- Carefully blend whip cream with 130 g of cold italian meringue using a spatula.
- Add the berry purée and fold from under to over until homogeneous. Make sure there are no lumps of egg white. If necessary use a whisk.
- Ready for immediate use as stand-alone dessert or as ingredient for other desserts. Refrigerate!
Tools used: Whisk, digital thermometer, wooden spatula, hand mixer, silicone spatula, sieve.
More Mousse Recipes...
This one is finger-licking good. Works with dark- and milk chocolate.
Fresh orange mousse for a summer's day.
Made with fruits of the forest: Wild berries. You can't get more natural.
One of the better mousses with an addictive factor.
There's something about the taste of raspberries that works in many ways.
Not really a mousse but close enough. This is an egg white version.