Red Wine Cake
This time I went for something less ordinary: Chocolate chips and red wine combined in a cake.
Some people smell christmas while the cake is baking. I'm not sure whether this is a seasonal pastry or where it originates from.
Feel free to include it in your christmas menu. For a more festive appearance, why not sprinkle some icing sugar over the red wine cake?
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 220 g fine sugar
- 200 g salted butter
- 100 g chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 g baking powder
- 120 ml dry red wine
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1 tsp red coloring
- Soften the butter and blend with the sugar until creamy.
- Separate egg yolks from whites. Add yolks to the buttermix with the vanilla. Beat well.
- Combine flour with baking powder and add to butter-yolk mix. Also add the cocoa. Fold with spatula.
- Gradually pour the red wine while blending, continued by pouring in the rum, the chocolate chips and red coloring.
- Beat the egg whites energetically with a pinch of salt until it's firm.
- Fold beaten egg whites into the batter, from under to over until all is homogeneous.
- Pour final batter into ring cake mold.
- Bake 60 to 65 minutes at 160°C convection. At 55 minutes, use a tester to see if the red wine cake is done.
Tools used: Hand mixer, silicone spatula, pastry brush, sieve.
Red Wine Cake
More Pies and Cakes!