Sometimes you come across a strange duck, even in the world of desserts. The Salzburger nockerln is usually served warm, right after it's baked.
Smooth, soft and creamy are the keywords of this non-guilt dessert. It's pretty much a souffle low in sugar.
Sprinkle some powdered sugar over it while warm and serve immediately.
- 4 large eggs
- 25 g flour
- 45 g powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- butter for greasing
- zest of ½ lemon
- extra powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 180-185°C convection.
- Split the eggs and blend the yolks with the lemon zest.
- Beat egg whites with salt until firm, then gradually add the icing sugar with the vanilla extract.
- With a spatula blend some of the egg whites with the yolks. Sieve the flour over the yolk mix.
- Add the rest of the egg whites and carefully fold from under to over until everything is homogeneous.
- Do the batter in a 21 x 13 cm oven tray, preferably ceramic. Shape it to have 2 or 3 tops.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar over the Salzburger nockerln and serve.
Tools used: Hand mixer, silicone spatula, sieve, oven tray.
More Pies and Cakes!